Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Tom's Cyber Cafe, Kennedy Meadows' Best

Adaptability is the name of this game so far.  After hiking into Kennedy Meadows with a sore foot on Friday, we took two days off to let it recover.  By Monday it was still very sore, so we decided that Garrett should hike on for the next 50 mile leg without me and I could stay at Tom's hostel (aka the "Cyber Cafe"- because it's the only place on the mountain with interwebs) to recover for a few more days.  Tom's place is great.  Every hiker or couple of hikers gets their own vintage camper to stay in.  This was ours.

On Monday morning I headed down the hill with Tom to Ridgecrest, a 1.5 hour drive down a harrowing hill. It's the closest town and Tom needed to go grocery shopping and I visited a clinic to get my foot checked out.  The doctor ruled out a trip-ending stress fracture (hallelujah!) but said it was a "soft tissue injury."  This is good news, though.  A pulled or strained muscle or tendon will heal much faster than a bone injury.    I enjoyed the next two days hanging out with new friends who would come to stay at Tom's for a zero or a double zero day.  Great people!
Today Garrett is returning from Lone Pine with Patches, another hiker, who has a ride back to KM to pick up a package.  It works out well for us and I'm feeling well enough to go and join Garrett now.  I can walk without a limp and with a little Vitamin-I the pain is tolerable.  I'm thankful that this is a great journey, no matter how fast or slow we go.

We're headed into the Sierras now where we will have bear cans, 7 days of food and crossing some amazing  landscapes!  Headed now to VVR.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad your feeling better, that is a great looking camping trailer, not as up to date as your Tarp Tent but a bit better for recovering. Enjoy!!

Rachel Morse said...

Hey Guys!

Glad you (Anna) are recovering! We love you and can't wait to see some awesome pictures of the Sierras!

Love,
Rachel and Dan